Word of God

Reader feed back is appreciated!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Computer Games Boot Camp, and other stuff

From the 8th to the 12th, I attended computer games boot camp part2; aftershock. This being the sequel to an event earlier in the year where I went to Monash University and listened to lectures and played games competitively or for fun and met interesting people. This was pretty much more of the same. For the sake of.. stuff, I generally avoid mentioning people by name, but I'll make an exception. I must commend and thank Andrew Owen for all of the work and effort he's put into Computer Games Boot Camp and continues to put into it. I'm exhausted just attending the damn thing and I can only imagine what its like for Andrew Owen. So all I can say is thanks. Also a shout out to everyone at Level Three and Green Tube LAN. Anyway moving on.

There were some cool presentations, a massive Tron LAN, tournaments for Brawl, CoD, Street Fighter, Tekken, Goldeneye and more, but mostly, the best things there were the people.  I regret that the main event is so overcrowded, as it leaves a lot less time to hang out with awesome people.

Aside from that, I had some other things happening immediately after, which is why I hadn't made a blog post yet.

So far since then, I've played 1 session of AD&D, 1 of basic D&D, 1 of Ninja Burger, dismantled magic decks and helped build some new Elder Dragon Highlander (Generals) decks, as well as sorted probably another 500 cards.

Also Team Fortress 2's Christmas Update shipped yesterday, in all of its glory. I won't talk much about it here for fear of accidentally going on a rant. All I'll say more on the topic is that the player base isn't just split, but fragmented; rarely do two people share the same opinion and verdict on more than one update.

Other games I've played include Singularity, which is just like Half Life crossed with Bioshock, except instead of a resonance cascade, you have the singularity, and instead of plasmids you have the time manipulation device. You have the mindless once human creatures who suicidally rush you, the militant force trying to crush you (who's weapons you take), upgrade stations, a revolver, a sniper, a grenade launcher, a shotgun, a minigun, a rocket launcher, telekinesis, exploding barrels, non exploding barrels, blueprints and technology which when found allow you to upgrade yourself and your weapons at upgrade stations, and a character with no voice, no face, who always wears gloves, and almost no cinematic cut scenes except at the twist.

In upcoming events I'll shortly be playing with the other half of the band I'm in, for the very first time.

Until next time, and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment